The Tongue is Powerful Indeed

The words that we use on a daily basis have a profound impact on how we live our life daily. This is something that I have learned today. I don't want anyone to think that I am getting preachy, but I'm not afraid to lay my experiences on the floor before you. I admit that I can curse like a sailor. Sometimes it'll come in strong spurts, and others will come when I least expect it (ie: missing a shot on goal during a friendly soccer match or when I'm in a disagreement with someone I love). The big part of the problem is that though I don't like it I have never really felt that wrong about how my language is conducted. Today, however, I have been humbled by God.

Never did I think that there was a scripture (let alone a whole chapter) devoted on the words a person speaks. It would be a lie if I were to tell you that I have never heard a pastor or christian brother say that my words have an effect on everyone around me and myself. However, I held onto a lie that was rooted that I never found a scripture on it. Well, that's where I found myself a few hours ago. I yelled at someone with malice in my voice, and when I stopped I couldn't believe what I said and how it was conducted. Immediately after my epiphany, I prayed that He would guide me into a position that would make me harder to curse and be angry.

Last Sunday Pastor Mark of Light of Life ministries quoted James 1:19: "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry" so I figured this was a good starting point. I had no clue what was coming in the third chapter: an entire section devoted directly to how a person speaks to others. I became immediately humbled and repented to God of my past verbage, and now I want to apologize to any of you who read this and I have said something lacking love in it. It was never my intention to hurt, but I know that my words when used negatively have that potential.

In James 3:9 & 10, we learn that " 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be". Taking this into account it is my prayer that God takes my heart and keeps it steadfast in the ways in which I speak to others. May it be a way to glorify Him and give Him honor and praise. May you also share love in your speech and cast off the negativity in your own use of words. The following video is one I found of a Christian group that does a nice illustration on how this scripture is played out. It's funny to me though...I never realised that I have done exactly what these characters did, and it helped me in my resolve in talking with compassion and not hate, love and not anger. If you want to see it click here...and may He shine upon you this week. I love you with a deep heart, and if you need anything, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help.

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: