Masculinity Aborted

The things I do for my lady.

Not like I'm complaining really. Actually I quite love Liz and enjoy making odd sacrifices for her. This one today was a bit weird though. Following all of the Hoorays for Ben's B-day, Liz and I had to make the trek back to the beloved city of Richmond. I enjoy the drives back because of our odd conversations (come early and leave late [inside joke]) and religious fervor for NPR's "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me...". Towards the mid of the drive Liz and I talked about plans for the night:

L: So, what do you plan on doing for the rest of the night?

R: Well Ben wanted to meet up on xbox live later and possibly play some games later on...you?

L: Well, I do have to open...would you mind if I spent the night?

Thus the piano music softly playing during the romance comedy that is my relationship came to an abrupt halt at the question emanated from Liz's lips. Honestly, it was an innocent question and it does need some background info. I am a proud, current owner of an amazing tv (thank you now deceased Circuit City) that makes my life that much cooler when watching an Arsenal game. However, the two downsides to this when you're a beautiful woman about to marry me is that it is:


a) in my bedroom, all 42 inches of it
&
b) mega-super-ultra bright if there's no light on to offset the TV.


Well, what was I going to say when she asked me this?


R: Sure, as long as you have your work clothes for the morning.

This became great for Liz, because she is now closer in vicinity to her store AND doesn't have to drive threw scary-Richmond to get to her place. I was glad to help her.

We get home. She curls into bed. I hit the lights and fire up the xbox.

L: Could you turn the volume down?

I decrease the volume.

L
: more?

I decrease the volume again...making my TV, mute? This can't be! I'm a man, I NEED my tv to be blasting while I kill zombies, not some little whimper of sound. It de-masculinizes (i know, big word) the entire experience!

After the first problem, I realized that if I were to help out Liz anymore I would go ahead and rest my guns on the shelf and retire from the gaming world for the night. Where am I now? I'm sitting in the living room, Hemingway next to me, charged with iced coffee (I was supposed to be up all night playing video games...remember?), and finding some satisfaction that Liz is catching z's while I'm catching up on homework.

Thank God for nights like these, where I can appreciate the silence needed to read!

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: