New Horizons

The sun still shines on and on, yet the sun seems different for me more and more lately.

If you would have told me 6 months ago what was going to happen in the month of March, I would have simply laughed at you and called you crazy. However, I have begun to realize that God likes to readjust my life almost 180 degrees at the very last minute. Allow me to explain what has traversed:

Thanks to the (what I am calling) the "Clinical Recession", more people than usual have applied for Grad School. Where Graduate school two years ago would have been mostly for freshly graduated Undergrads, the schools are seeing more and more older people apply. The reason for this is the many layoffs around the country.

So where do I fit in here?

Well, one of the most common schools for people to apply to is the English Department. This is due to many teachers that are getting laid off, and realizing that if they receive a Masters Degree, they'll get more money when they return. Graduate schools have seen a 49% increase in applications because of older applicants. So where there should have been me and 600 other people applying there are now 900. On top of that, the schools get more governmental money from older married people. Plus, they are experiencing budget cuts. These budget cuts mean instead of the traditional 45 new students, they can only afford 20.

Based on all of this information, my chances at Grad School decreased even though I'll be graduating with at least a 3.6!

I have been respectfully declined by every school I applied to, except for South Carolina. (I haven't heard from them as of yet).

However, I am determined for this not to bother me. As of this moment, I am networking myself to the maximum! Liz and I have talked, and it seems that we are moving to College Park Maryland, because she got into UMD! This school is number 7 in the country for her degree and only about 4 hours away from home. It seems only logical to go there.

God's perfect orchestration of this story is not over yet though. I'm beginning to realize certain small things, that are just now starting to manifest.

The DC/Metro Area (attached to the College Park metrorail) has over 6 law schools. Law school has always intrigued me, seeing as I like to hear myself talk and have always wanted more trustworthy people in our law system. I never thought that Law School would be a reality. But, as it seems now at least, I'm being more and more lured in that direction. No, it's not because of the money.

For kicks, I took a practice LSAT questionnaire. (the LSAT is the GRE for Law School). I only missed one out of 20! I know I can do this, and I love the argument part of it all. I'm beginning to feel that this is where I'll be pushed toward.

It's too late to apply for this Fall semester...so the plan for us is as follows (that is, unless I get an awesome job somewhere in-between): I'll transfer as a Shift Supervisor for Starbucks somewhere up north whilst taking the LSAT, possibly twice depending on my original score. Then I can apply and start schooling it up in a year and a half from now!

I feel like this is what I'm supposed to do. Oddly enough, it has always been something where someone I love has said some small encouraging thing in my life that lifts me subconsciously. When I was younger, Melinda was sick and I fixed her her coffee. She said I do a great job fixing up a cup of coffee. Now look at me! I'm a Barista at Starbucks and have been for an extremely long time (4 years). My mother once told me, when I said that Law school could be an option for an English major, that she has always thought of me as one, saying that I "could argue the sky is purple, and people would end up believing me!". I don't know if I could do that, but it seems that these small blessings have affected me to a degree.

Here's a pic from my recent trip to Toronto, Philly, and NYC (sorry i know it's random, but I had to leave a picture...there hasn't been one lately):
The little thing in the middle is the Statue of Liberty.













This one is from FAO Schwartz!

Whatever God has in store for me, I have realized that it is better than where I wanted to be!

2 Thoughts on my thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

When I was an undergrad, I seriously considered law school. Several factors persuaded me not to go. 1) I visited UVA's law school. I sat in on a class. It was the most boring hour of my life. I tried to imagine doing that for three years. I could not.
2) I tried to imagine pushing paper for the rest of my life. I could not. (many people think being a lawyer is public speaking and arguing- two things I would be good at) however the bulk of the job is paperwork- that just doesn't get on the legal shows on TV.

Looking back, I think being a lawyer would've been a waste of what God has given me. Lots of people can be lawyers. Few people can do what I do.

Ryan- I think you are more on the cultural creative side of things...art and poetry and such. I think that perhaps being a lawyer would kill your soul.

Just my two cents from a guy who knows you, loves you like a brother and really needs to grab a cup of coffee with you soon!

RyMatt said...

Chris,

It's really encouraging to hear these words from you. I like what you have to say. While I have a year to prep for Law School, something in me keeps telling me that God will be throwing a curve ball at me for a future that I will love.

And yes, we really do need to grab a cup and catch up. Call me sometime next week. Love you like a brother!