Finding Peace in South Africa


We may be surprised at the people we find in heaven. God has a soft spot for sinners. His standards are quite low.
-Archbishop Desmond Tutu

In my religious ethics class, we finally approached the subject of Christianity. Hooray! Let's talk about one of the biggest facets of my life through the viewpoint of liberal Christ-haters...right? Wrong, actually. There were a few times where I didn't agree with the generalized diet-coke outline of my personal religion, but I didn't have too many qualms.

Every time we tackle a religion in the class, we are assigned popular people from that religion who have written ethical teachings. I got one of my favorite Christian writers: Archbishop Desmond Tutu. This guy is epitome of kick-butt-ery. He became an advocate of nonviolent protest against the atrocities of the South African Apartheid. Hence he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. More to come on this guy once I read his Nobel speech. you can find a copy of it here if you want to read it. He's such an amazing man of God, who wasn't even afraid of witnessing to the Dalai Lama.

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: