Reader-Response Criticism


In order to fulfill my professor's expectations, I have to write an essay (in reader-response form) on Jame Joyce's short story "The Dead". The story is quite interesting, since it portrays life in Ireland during its nationalistic movement. The characters are strong and lifelike in their dialogue and conversation. However, it is the way that I have to write this paper that is frustrating me to no end.

Normally, I write like a deconstructionist: finding binaries, allegories. Or even sometimes focusing as a historicist: locating the history in that area at the given time of the writing/setting and applying to the struggles within the narrative.

Unfortunately, I have to step further out of my comfort zone and put my head to the grindstone for a criticism that is dying as we speak. I highly dislike this writing, because it focuses on the response/feelings that the reader has when reading a certain piece. This disrupts my writing, because I HAVE to write in first person; something that I have quit doing in formal papers since 10th grade. This is going to be the hardest paper I've ever written, even though people that aren't English majors are having the time of their life writing this.

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: