Customers @ the Bux

Fact: I do in fact think of ways to fix the wrongs of the Starbucks customers.

Examples include one/many of the following on a given shift.

Problem 1:

"Hello sir, welcome to Starbucks. What can I start for you?"
"Venti Mocha" (throws credit card at me).

Solution:

I always do the right thing and finish the transaction with a more forced smile than usual. However this being a rant I take the credit card, break it in half and hand it back in two pieces. "Sir, next time you throw a credit card at me, make sure it doesn't break!"

Problem 2:

"Hello Mam, what can we start for you?"
(Motions "wait" with her finger and commences to speak to her best friend about the awful man she met the night before while holding up a line ten people deep).

Solution:

When she finally gets off the phone, I grab the store phone and turn around. I have social needs too you know. One of which being to catch up with best friends while taking up everyone else's time.

Problem 3:

"Excuse me, worker, this isn't my drink"

Solution:

Remind the idiot that his drink is in position 10 drinks behind all the other people standing around him. Then you continue with the explanation that the world in fact does NOT revolve around him and that he should reconsider being a Doctor for if he wants to help people he should begin by being humble and wait in line like the rest of us.

IT takes a ton to get me on a Starbucks rant, but any of my barista readers out there know that when it comes to a crappy day, a crappy customer can make it even worse. It may not seem like a hard working job, but steaming milk, writing orders down, smiling, and doing it all in a timely orderly fashion is harder than it looks. If I had it my way, I'd be writing on this blog all day.

4 Thoughts on my thoughts:

Liz said...

How many crappy customers did you have?

RyMatt said...

Quite a few...which is too many in my book. Honestly, I don't kow why they came out of the woodwork and somehow made it to my store. They're usually busting chops at River Road or Carytown. Disappointing...

Jenny said...

I had a day like that not too long ago. Never ceases to amaze me how people behave. If I'd been there, I'd have tried to make you laugh by talking about Harry Cary.

Kelly said...

So, I don't throw my credit card, but sometimes I do throw other things at the employees. Ice... pens... I am that horrid customer. Of course, Shannon almost knocked me out with a chunk of ice once... Seriously, it does amaze me how some people are so demanding. I imagine they live in a constant state of dissatisfaction and disappointment. But know that most of your customers love you all. :)