My List of Dream Jobs

It's never been about the good things in life that we learn from. For some odd reason God likes to take the bad and show us as His children lessons we can take from them. It is pretty cool to see these types of situations evolve in front of my eyes. You may be going through one of these God-ordained learning period, or at least know somebody who is going through one.

The best part about them is that if the person involved perseveres, the become a better person.

I've been happy to walk in what God wants me to do, and to be blatantly honest, I have learned tons from Him in the past six months. Seriously! My life has gone in a completely different direction than I had intended it. I wanted to go to Grad school and become a professor of English, I wanted to live in South Carolina with Liz (ignoring the frustrations that pre-marital cohabitation would bring), I wanted to get Magna cum Laude, and I wanted it all to happen because it was what I wanted, not what HE had planned for me.

The best advice I think that I could ever give any of my friends, family, or my future children is that be prepared to ride a windy roller coaster if you ask God to take the reins in your life, even though it will be the best decision of your life.

Me and my selfish ambitions landed me flat on my face after years of a huge tug-of-war with God. I forgot who I was in His eyes, and lost sight of the big picture. Turns out, not only does He know the right fit for me, he knows perfect planning and a way to get me there.

I now will be helping Liz go through Grad School and then we're gonna head back to Chesapeake for Law School at Regent University. I know that I have already talked about it previously, but I wanted to have people think about this for a second. Sure, I'm not living technically in the South for two years (which is a bummer because I like an occasional sweet tea and fried chicken), but it works the best way possible. I get to have a small hiatus and calm a Grad-School-stressed Liz, we get to go back home (which will help if we get pregnant, fall on hard times, need family around), and I get to help people. He even provided me a way to stay in Richmond till the wedding so Liz and I can still fight for our purity and make it worthwhile. But the getting to help others is the coolest part of the whole deal. Everyone that knows anything about me knows that I can take a cool idea and turn it into a dream job. I, in fact, to this day have gone through at least 5 well thought out career paths:
1- Military
2- Firefighter
3- History teacher
4- Police officer
5- Male Nurse
And now I can peg English Professor up there, because it isn't going to happen and it doesn't bother me. But did you notice a trend in all of my desired jobs? They all involved protecting or helping another fellow human. I guess if you asked me what I want to do for a living it would have to be "help others". I never really thought about that till just now, but it is what Christ commands us to do. I'm glad that my heart rings true to God's voice.

While the situation has become frustrating at times (such as living in Maryland, possibly working for Starbucks for another two years); one where I never know what treat is waiting just on the other side, I can tell you this: giving God the keys to the Porsche has been the BEST idea I have ever had.

[sidebar] It's my Birthday today! I'm now 23, and still kicking! To celebrate, Liz will hopefully have planned something cool to do, and I'm gonna watch Star Wars IV: A New Hope in Ryan Gibbons' backyard with some of my buds! I love life, and God makes it more vibrant!

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: