Approval

Galatians 1:10- Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

While Paul is using this rhetorical question as a way to prove a point, it is something I use to ask myself constantly. Never do I want my friends to think that I'm trying to win their approval. I've been down that road earlier, trust me guys, it is not fun nor rewarding.

The nice thought is that, sure, when you are forever trying to win the approval of God, not only do you gain God's approval, but also man's. But there is order things such as this. It doesn't matter the type of shoes you have, the car you drive, your annual salary. These things will fade. We are told to store our treasures in Heaven (Matthew 6:20) for a reason.

Allow me to paint a beautiful picture that I feel has to come out of me:

When we seek God's approval and are rewarded with treasure (stored in Heaven), it becomes something gorgeous. Not only does God know what we want, because after all He did create us, but He is also giving the treasure specifically to you. In Heaven. Away from a corruptible world where jealousy, greed, and avarice can take hold of it. It is freely yours, and yours to share as you will it. The whole purpose of gaining approval from God, is to realize that approval from man above God will fade just like earthly treasures.

Never think that you are here on this Earth for people to see you and say "There's a great person!". I have to be honest that a infinite number of those types of comments mean nothing to me. But just one, "Wow! I made him!" from God makes everything so much more worth it.

Why do you think God gave Jesus his approval when He was baptized? It was because it would be what He needed in order to carry out the second part of that story: Satan's temptation of Christ. The approval from God is so important.

So I have to ask: Are you doing what man thinks is right? Or what God does?

Politics and all of that mean nothing to me anymore, only God. That's a hard thing for me to admit. Sure I have my views, but I'm relaxed in trying my hardest to only do what is right and being there for anyone who needs me.

1 Thoughts on my thoughts:

Stephen Doane said...

Thats good. I also think its important to have Gods approval. You have to know who you are, in order to carry out your life, as you described. Jesus needed to hear who he was, to be validated by the Father, before he was to be tempted.

Wow, scary almost, Im anxious to see what would happen, if a handful of believers knew our true name, knew our true identity as sons and daughters of the living God. The God who created the heavens and the earth, the God of Israel, who has called us out of darkness into His wonderful light. The God, who has put us first in all He has created, by giving all of himself just so we can be connected with Him once again. How bad would we be beat down to the ground, tempted, starved for food, thirsty, and tired. But, thanks be to God for his grace that is poured out on us beyond measure!