It's Superman!


So I just put down a book that I tried so hard to finish, but hated in the end.

It's Superman! by Tom DeHaven immediately intrigued me for two main reasons:

1) The dust jacket art was designed by Chris Ware, an amazing artist and someone who I tend to constantly enjoy through various comic means. (AKA McSweeney's covers).

2) DeHaven is one of the professors that teaches creative writing at the illustrious VCU!

I thought, "Hey! Here's an opportunity to establish a published writer friend in arms length distance from me. Surely, I'll enjoy this guy's writing. After all, he is writing on the comic-hero Superman.

I was wrong, oh so wrong on many levels. For one, I hate Superman anything going into the book. I was convinced that this could be a revival of Superman fascination for me! It was, however, another reason for me to hate Clark Kent and all of his amazing endeavors. In fact, my dislike for Superman is so strong that I never saw Superman Returns for the sheer fact of making a statement. It's not even that I don't like the guy. Clark Kent is a good person and teaches many kids good morals to stand on.

I also couldn't handle DeHaven's constant referral to the current history happening during the time that the piece was set in (The Great Depression). His depiction of New York was weak at best, and his characters written too much like that they were meant for a Frank Capra film.

Not to mention the switches between the characters left their development seem long-winded and wasted. Mr. Kent (Clark's father) got so much limelight in the first 50 pages and practically nothing else from then on. You fall in love with a character, you don't put him in the shadows for the rest of the time.

So sorry bud, but no more Superman for me.

[update!] If anyone wants to know something odd to get me it is this!

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: