Failing to Look= Pancaked Student

While I'd like to think that the world revolves around me, it most certainly does not. In fact, life tends to have a way of rubbing that fact in quite true.

I am a proud biker. I have all the accoutrement:

1) A Chrome Messenger Bag

2) Built-by-my-own-two-hands Fixed Gear Bicycle

3) Jeans with one of the pant legs rolled up

I am one with the biking culture. In essence, I communicate with the green ideal of riding a bike wayyy before driving my car. However, the one day that I decide to drop Liz off with my VW, I end up almost hitting one of my brethren. While I don't condone idiot driving, and every reader here has heard this line before, it really was NOT my fault. Allow me to illustrate a picture for you:

After dropping off the hotness that is my future bride, I commence to drive down Floyd Ave. Every Richmond-er realizes the potential harm in driving down this street because of the constant flow of students. After passing through the main slew of frenzy that is a rebellious teenager, I came upon a five way stop intersection.

-It became my turn to go.

-I did the whole "I'm going to slowly nudge my car out just to make everyone knows it is my turn" maneuver.

-As I roll steadily forward, a biker (with headphones) screeches in front of my hood, brakes immediately and then commences to tell me to "drive better". I'm sorry dude, I didn't realise that you were coming at 30 miles an hour AND not stop like the 50 other vehicles (yes, you Are considered a vehicle in the state of Virginia).

It just frustrates me when I try to be respectful of the road and the drivers around me when I ride, and I get the short end of the stick when I'm on the other side. Reasons like this are why people tend to treat bikers like trash regardless of how they treat the road.

I just wish I could talk to the guy in a respectful manner and try to see his logic. I'm not even mad, I just need perspective.

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: