The Things that Remind Me of You!

While watching this bunch of people throw random crap and try to take pictures of it, I'll write about my favorite time of the year: Spring!

I totally love this time of year, where the flowers are the most beautiful and when the wind blows it isn't biting at all. The Dogwood trees in front of my place are in full bloom and I can't help but think of Granddaddy whenever I see them. He always had Dogwood saplings randomly growing in his yard somewhere, so I always had one wherever I lived (granted that has only been two places, but still). I recently visited the trailer park where I used to live and found the proud Dogwood at over 20 feet tall acting as a giant over the home of my childhood. Unfortunately, the one from the house of my adolescence was taken out by hurricane Isabel. Now, wherever I am, I tend to find them and think of my Grandfather holding my chin, giggling it just a bit and making the coolest Donald Duck voice as he did it. I miss the guy, I hope he's doing alright in heaven.

Actually, come to think of it, many random things make me think of certain people for legitimate reasons...

Cardinals and Blue Jays: Grandma Matthews, because she loves birds and these two are everywhere in her backyard. Plus, everywhere perfectly placed throughout her house. But I think they also represent her personality: an air of regal-ness and a sense of a free spirit. Also Milanos, because she still gives me a pack whenever I come to visit her.

McDonald's Chicken McNuggets: Melinda, because of the first time I met her, we connected over our favorite thing from McDonald's. She could have said anything else, and it wouldn't have mattered, but the fact that we shared a weird taste bud, made me very happy. I can't help but get some and think of her when I do.

Books in general: My mother of course. At a very early age, she has always encouraged me to free myself from the rainy day and go to a different world. I blame her for my broad imagination, child-like nature, and my English degree that I'm about to receive.

Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies and Libraries: Grandma Hollabaugh. She used to put the cookies in the freezer and share a sleeve of them with me and a tall glass of milk. Those were great times. When I got a bit older and I helped her babysit, we used to go to the library ALL the time. It was here that I learned that you didn't have to pay to read a book, that there were places that loaned them out for free! Plus, they had really cool documentaries (I recommend Bill Nye the Science Guy).

Rivers, Daisies, Finding Nemo & Kaleidoscopes: My Liz. I chose rivers because the first time I took her hiking, we forded a nice size river 8 times going to the campsite and 8 times coming back. It was March, the river was deep, and the river was 45 degrees. This equals a not so happy Liz, but an extremely cool story. Daisies and Finding Nemo, because these are her favorite flowers and movie, respectively. There's not a week that goes by that we don't talk in whale speak, or act like Crush the Turtle. And finally, I chose kaleidoscopes because of her "favorite gift". When we first started dating, we were walking around the Barnes and Noble when I handed her a small brass kaleidoscope. I told her it was hers because she was a dreamer and this would help her dream more. Needless to say, even after her handmade engagement ring, she still thinks the kaleidoscope is her fave gift. I love her, because she loves the small things in our life together.

Hemingway & Submarines: My Grandpa Hollabaugh. In most of his pictures from his final years in the Navy, I can't help but think of the sheer correlation you can make in look between him and Ernest Hemingway. It's uncanny. I also think of him when I see pics of subs, because of his cool stories of being a sonar in the Navy. He's a cool G-pa, and he's where I think I get my sarcasm from.

Chess: I think of my Dad whenever I play a chess game or when I see a cool handmade chess set. I remember times when I was a kid, when all Dad and I would do would be play Chess on his hand carved set. It didn't matter who won; we would always reset the pieces and start over again and again. It was kinda cool to see me slowly start to be beat him more and more as I got older. The things I learned playing chess and the things I learned from Dad while playing Chess have helped me in life tremendously. I now can no longer make a decision without playing different results in my head quickly. Plus, since I've been working on this whole Lawyer ordeal, the game helps with my logic. I can't stop playing it online!

There are many things that remind me of certain people. I'll probably end up writing others as the year progresses, but right now, this blog is already 10 times longer than I expected! Oh well, this is an easy way for people to know that I sometimes remember some of the smallest details of my life with them. I love you all so very much!

1 Thoughts on my thoughts:

Melinda said...

THANK YOU for the smiles! I too remember the chicken nuggets like it was yesterday. I also remember us flying kites, but my fondest first memory of you is wondering how God could put so much knowledge and love of life into an 8 year old little boy! I knew then and there that you would bring many happy memories to my life! Remembering you and your Dad playing Chess together, brings a smile. I am grateful and comforted that you remember the little things in life for sometimes those little things are the sweetest. Reading your posts allows me to get a daily glimpse of my Ryan Smyan! One can only relish in the fact that life is not measured by the amount of breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breath away! And for you my Son, I am overjoyed and thrilled that you have and continually press on regardless of adversity! My motto has always been SMILE REGARDLESS! Thanks be to God! All my love, Melinda