The Lord is Risen!

I have always loved Easter. Now that Christ is fully involved in my life, I feel that it is even more pertinent to enjoy the holiday.

I'm sitting on my back porch with Liz eating my Turkey burger creation (Soy sauce, ground Turkey, Gorgonzola cheese) and reading Archbishop Desmond Tutu's No Future Without Forgiveness. Now that I have completed my paper on they guy, I have sooo much to say about how phenomenal this guy has become. He became the head for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission; a sort of court-like atmosphere for victims of apartheid. The way Tutu describes it is imagine you were the family member of someone who was raped and then killed during the time of apartheid, without there being any justice. You now, after the shedding of the old South African government, had the chance to bring your case to the courts and talk of your suffering and injustice. The perpetrators would come and share their part of their story. So far, it sounds like a normal would-be court situation. However, the kicker is that the victims or the victim's family had the chance to publicly forgive their attackers and give them absolution!

This action has had huge impact on how quickly the past wounds of South Africa have been healed. Only through the teachings of Christ could something like this happened, and I feel that it is fully blessed and beautiful. About a year ago in my South African history class, I had the opportunity to see some recorded trials, and their after effects. A man tried for beating three blacks during a raid, sought out the three families and asked for forgiveness and peace. Not only did the family forgive him, they witnessed to him and he accepted Christ on the spot! Now, he lives next door to the family and helps cook during holidays! Phenomenal! I mean, wow!

Thumbs up South Africa for such a cool idea!

Back to my Easter musings (I tend to go off the track sometimes). Walking home I got to pass over 20 Dogwoods! I love these trees, and every time I think about them (and Grandaddy) I can't help but think that every house I own WILL have one of these trees in the front yard. They're not just gorgeous, but the spring wouldn't be the same for me without them. This Easter marks the first time I have celebrated a holiday without any member of my family (except for Liz). While I love my family and am a huge family type of guy, it was kinda nice. I was able to go to church with Liz and now relax to the sounds of amazing praise and worship. I think people take advantage of this holiday to make it a Diet Coke version of Christmas without looking toward the true reason for this:

Yes, Christ did get crucified on a cross on Golgotha hill. And yes, he did rise from the grave three days later. I believe that with everything in me, and it amazes me that people have been killed because of one simple belief. I guess some things just can't be fathomed easily.

But I'm thankful for the victory that was achieved on the cross, and today is the perfect day to be reminded how beautiful His creation is.

0 Thoughts on my thoughts: